Friday, September 24, 2010

2 Chronicles 15:7 - Reward for your work

2 Chronicles 15:7 (NASB) says: "But you, be strong and do not lose courage, for there is reward for your work."

Sometimes along my journey I want to give up. Okay, often I want to give up - usually daily - right around the time I'm supposed to get out of bed and go to the gym I want to throw in the proverbial towel and call it a day because (as I used to say when I was very young) it's too hard and I'm too little!

But I get up (mainly because I cannot throw money away) and I keep going. That doesn't mean it isn't a struggle or that it isn't a fight because it is. When doubt creeps in the door I tend to fall into my typical cycle. That would be the one where I feel like nothing will ever change and think to myself "well then, why bother!" I get depressed and I pray and often my prayer or it's answer become a silly little blog post where selfishly I pour out words and sometimes gain some perspective in the process.

But 2 Chronicles 15:7 tells me that for my work there is a reward... and with this weight loss the only reward I have ever expected was to lose weight and have the physical body that God intended for me to have. I admit I feel great when people I love give me compliments or say that I'm motivational, but again, they're people I love - they have to be supportive - so you take it with a grain of salt, right? (although you probably shouldn't because sodium is really bad!)

In any case, I never really expected more reward than what I've already received, but today I was rewarded in my heart by two complete strangers:

Hi Renee,
AWESOME! When the scales aren't moving and I've been good, you'll be my motivation. I've printed your letters for my desk and my co-workers are really enjoying them. You GO GIRL!!!
Renee,
I've been flipping through posts this morning and was totally enthralled when I found your 'Dear John' letters to the last 50. You go, girl.I looked for your other posts and was touched by your humor, warmth and encouragement.I just wanted to say Thank You for making my day.
Jeri

The reward had very little to do with the work I've done physically and was mostly about my posting... which of course has everything to do with God. I am His child and part of what He knit in my mother's womb was a funny, positive, woman who has always hidden behind sarcasm and extra pounds of fat. (Due to the behavior of your dog letters, anyone?)

But, as I have been on my weight loss journey I have also been on a spiritual one. My reward today was the realization that I have shed more than pounds. He is whittling me into the woman He intends me to be, not the one I have tried to make of myself, the one I have tried to hide behind. To know that His design for me is beginning to show and has benefited a complete stranger is an unexpected blessing I was not prepared for - and I am Completely Thankful. (And a little teary, not gonna lie).

1 comment: