Thursday, January 14, 2010

Selfish Phase

So... hanging from the wall in my cubicle is a poem I wrote during one of the lowest points of my life after a really difficult breakup.


Selfish Phase

I'm doing things I want to do.
I'm learning things I thought I knew.
I'm having fun - without you.
It's a selfish phase.

I eat vanilla ice cream in bed.
Gaining 10 lbs. doesn't fill me with dread.
If I wanted to I could shave my head.
It's a selfish phase.

I curse like a sailor when I stub my toes.
I watch really crappy t.v. shows.
I threw out all my pantyhose.
It's a selfish phase.

I'm going where I want to go.
I'm growing how I want to grow.
I never tell myself no.
It's a selfish phase.

I flirt with all the men I meet.
When I'm in bed I get the sheets.
I haven't shaved my legs in weeks.
It's a selfish phase.

I can watch sappy movies and cry.
I never have to give reasons why.
I don't care about the size of my thighs.
It's a selfish phase.

I'm living life just for me.
I'm wild and young and so carefree.
I'm being who I need to be.
Must be that selfish phase.


And yes, I still have it up in my line of sight even after all these years. And yes, I am now happily married and have been for almost 5 years. It might seem a strange reminder to keep, but I have it because it reminds me of why my relationships before my husband didn't work. I had never been myself. I always bent to please someone else - changed who I was to make others happy. I swallowed my feelings and conformed to what I thought the other person wanted at the expense of what I wanted... really, at the expense of what I needed.

So when everything in my life fell apart - I finally realized that no one was going to love who I was unless I figured out who that was and let her be seen. I started down a road I had never been on before. What did I want? What did I need? What did I deserve? Where did I want to go and who did I want to be? What did I love about me and what did I want to change?

Now, while I know I need to be pruned... I also know that I was made who I am for a reason. God is sovereign in ALL things, including my personality. I am a loud person and I like to laugh and have a good time but I can't be "on" all the time. Sometimes I hurt and have doubts and am afraid and need comfort. I am not meek or subservient but I like to help people in need however I can. I have opinions and if I really believe in something I will fight for it but I don't like confrontation and avoid it like the plague. I am emotional and loving but I can be possessive and insecure.

I am a work in progress and I hope that is true of me all my life. I am truly blessed to have a husband who loves me for who I really am and not just a version of me. It is wonderful to know who you are - flaws and all, and be okay with it because you know someone else loves you unconditionally.

I know not everyone can be blessed with a husband as wonderful as mine... but everyone can be blessed with a Father who will love them through everything - their trials and tribulations as well as their joy and celebration. God's unconditional love is more than just a blessing... it really is everything and it is there for anyone who needs it. How amazing is that?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! And so well put. Isn't it amazing when you figure out what you really want? And exactly what the Lord intended you for? It's incredible how your view of yourself and others changes. But God stays the same. And it's even better when, once you decide to offer yourself, your true self, someone accepts just that.

    ReplyDelete