Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hate

I tend not to make New Year's Resolutions. Just because it's a new year proclaiming to the world that I plan to change something about myself or what I do does not mean it is going to make it work. In fact, most gym memberships purchased in January fall into disuse come April - just saying.

Now, that doesn't mean that the New Year isn't a time of reflection on the past and changes shouldn't be made. In fact, I think it's a great idea to really put thought into your life and make changes whenever you are moved to - be it January 1st or October 31st - matters not.

Which brings me to the subject of this posting... Hate.

I use the word hate a lot. In fact, I use it far more than I should and as a sort of gross generalization. For example: I hate people. Yes, that phrase has left my mouth countless times. It is usually preceded by a situation where someone has been less than nice or has treated me as if I am slow or hard of hearing without bothering to realize I am a human being with feelings.

Then there is the more descriptive phrase: I hate stupid people. This one is usually preceded by a situation where someone asked me a pointless or redundant question or simply did something in a way that goes against how I thought it should have been done. (My way frequently being called the "right" way and their way being called the "wrong" way.)

Of course those are just the warm up phrases using hate... then we have - I hate the alarm clock, I hate this show, I hate this city, I hate this traffic, I hate this rain, I hate these new gas pumps that take forever, I hate my job, I hate this book, I hate - I hate - I hate...

Now, the question is am I really that full of HATE? An even better question... Do I want to be?

The answer is no. I don't want to be an "angerball" or a "hatemonger". Granted I know I am far from sunshine and rainbows shooting from my fingertips but that doesn't mean I have to spew venom everywhere I go. I am not saying I will never say HATE again... But I will try to watch how often the word comes out of my mouth. I don't resolve to do this... I try to do this - with a little prayer and a lot of hope that I will be worked on so that as the time passes, it won't be April and I'll be back to my hatin' ways...

What about you? Anyone out there have something they feel moved to change about their person?

3 comments:

  1. When the kids say they hate something, they almost always mean something else. I make them rephrase it and use a better, more descriptive word than hate. I do this with stupid too. Do you want me to hold you accountable when you say you hate something? Will you do the same for me and the word "retarded"? I hate that I use that word. Unless I mean that the progress of something is slowed, in ewhich case it's ok. Because that's what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I really did mean hate in the above post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would be happy if we could hold each other accountable for our negative word choices. In fact, I think I would not hate that in the least. ;)

    ReplyDelete